top of page

MEN | Match Report: Aztecs 6 v 7 Compton

16th of October 2022: The Aztecs nearly pulled off the comeback in this dramatic game at Sparsholt.

Enrique Mbela and Mamdou Sané back in the side.

Back to Sparsholt, but as the away team, the Aztecs took on Compton in what was the first competitive match between the two teams, who already know each other well from three meetings in pre-season.

The Aztecs started strong, with the first chance being a top corner shot from Mamadou Sané forcing a great diving save from Compton keeper Iuri Borges. Sam Ray and Laurynas Jonaitis continued the assault on the goal with shots that were blocked. But it was Compton that struck first, with a toe-punted shot low into the goal from the right wing. Compton added their second to make it 2-0 with an excellent one-two creating an open goal for the finish.

Aberto Mbuna tried to get the Aztecs back in the game with a powerful shot from distance being tipped away by Borges. Jonaitis forced another save with a placed long shot from the following corner, the ball rebounded out and was clipped back in for Sean Dye's headed attempt to be caught and held. Compton had a couple chances of their own, with Ryan Brewster making a good save from close range. Santos and Mbuna had shots denied with more saves from Borges. Compton could have made it three when Mbela was robbed of the ball. Luckily Sané recovered well to block with a sliding tackle. Sané hit the post shortly after from a counter. Mbela also had a well struck shot destined for the top corner saved by Borges. Creating plenty of chances, the Aztecs couldn't get past the Compton keeper, who made an expert save by getting across his goal to deny Santos with the feet, who was waiting unmarked at the far post.

Callum Bowers came agonisingly close to building on his hat-trick from the previous game, selling the keeper and the two recovering defenders on the line, but hit his shot just wide of the goal. The Aztecs couldn't make the chances count, and then Compton did, taking the game to 3-0. The Compton number 8 received the ball out wide on the left, cut inside, and hit a rocket into the far top corner.

The Aztecs eventually got their well deserved goal from Sam Ray. A diagonal pass clipped through the Compton defence by Jonaitis, Ray still had a lot to do, squeezing through two defenders before side-footing it into the far corner. Compto's response was immediate, hitting the post, and then making Brewster perform a top save to deny a top corner effort. The half finished 3-1 to Compton, but could have been closer, had Bowers taken his chance 1v1 with the keeper, shooting an inch wide of the post.

In the second half, it was the Aztecs who struck first. A kick-in on the right taken by Jonaitis was played into the D for Sean Dye to tap in, after sneaking in behind the defence caught unaware of his movement. Assister turned scorer, when Jonaitis brought it back to 3-3. A long throw from Brewster was brought down by Santos who kept the move alive. Enrique Mbela came to support, playing a one-two with Santos, who slipped the ball across goal for Jonaitis to score.

Parity was restored. Brewster was called upon to make a great save with the feet. Unfortunately, soon after, Compton were back in front at 4-3. A cross from wide left was tapped in from a Compton player who made the run into the D untracked. It was then 5-3 immediately from kick-off, with Enrique Mbela punished for being caught in possession. Mbela nearly pulled one back, with his hard shot going wide of the near post. Then Compton re-established the three goal lead, taking it to 6-3. A diagonal from left to right, held up well in the corner, rolled into the D, and then tapped home. Another untracked run.

The game was end to end, and the scoring clearly not over, as Alberto Mbuna pulled it back to 6-4. In a 1v1, Brewster was sold a dummy. Alberto Mbuna recovered to block the shot. With the Compton player too busy appealing for a handball, Mbuna started his run forward with the ball. He poked it through to Sam Ray who laid him off, for Mbuna to round the defender, take the ball wide, and chip it over Borges for a cracking goal.

The Aztecs scored again, bringing it to 6-5, with Sean Dye scoring his second of the game. A kick-in on the right in the Aztecs half, Jonaitis played it back to Dye who had dropped into the net to allow Brewster out wide. Dye played it to Brewster and made a run inside to receive it back again. Dye poked it through to Sané who was in the corner by himself. Borges came rushing out to block the initial shot, but was undone by Dye who chipped the rebound over Borges and the recovering defender and into the net. This was going to be a tense finish.

Sané, Bowers, and Jonaitis had decent chances to score. Dye had one cleared off the line. Sané almost scored from a corner, unmarked at the back post, sliding in to connect with a Jonaitis cross. Had he purchased the next shoe size up, it would have been a goal. Compton kept coming too, cracking a shot from distance off the crossbar.

Compton scored their seventh, and what turned out to be the winning goal. A kick-in on their left, they played the ball all the way back into their own half. Borges went fly to create the overload. He played the ball down the line on the right wing, which was tapped inside, and then smashed home from close distance. A superb team goal from the opponents.

The seconds ticking away, this battling Aztecs side kept pushing, scoring immediately from the kick-off. Santos back to Mbuna, with a short pass wide to Mbela, who sold the pressing opponent and surged down the right wing, taking two players out of the game with his movement. Mbela carried the ball forward, and smashed a low cross at the far post, for Mamadou Sané to tap over the line to make it 7-6. Compton nearly scored from the kick-off, but were denied by a great save. Time ran out before the Aztecs could complete a second comeback

An entertaining match that is a great advert for the sport of futsal. And a scoreline that is testament to how much this Aztecs side has improved since their first match, which was a 17-4 loss to this same Compton side. The Aztecs have a few weekends off now, and will be hoping to show an even stronger display by the next time they take to the court.

Captain Sean Dye scored his first two goals for the club..

Enjoy some of the photos taken!

Enjoy the full game below.

Enjoy the action in the highlights below.!

This game against a tough opponent could have gone either way. The team now has a few weeks off before the next contest. If you want to know where and when the games are, you can check our schedule here.

If you want our official Adidas kit, get yourself over to KitLocker.

If you would like other Aztecs merchandise, go to Spreadshirt.

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page